Dispatches From the Culture Wars - July 9, 2019
- ‘Nothing Prepares You for the Inhumanity of It’
- Poverty Doesn’t Make You Racist
- Unions, Protests and Balloons
- A Cultural History of Feminine Nouns Turned Into Insults
- The New NIMBY
- The Democrats Aren’t a Left-Wing Party — They Just Play One on TV
- Why Editorial Cartoons are Endangered
At a visit to Border Patrol facilities this week, the freshman congresswoman Madeleine Dean of Pennsylvania met weeping women and exchanged notes with detained children.
According to a recent study, white voters who support anti-racist policies generally have less income than their more racist peers.
By taking aim at an inflatable rodent, the NLRB invites a First Amendment challenge.
‘Slut’ and ‘hussy’ used to have tame meanings. Then, like so many other feminine nouns, they came to mean ‘prostitute’.
Residents of wealthy neighborhoods are taking extreme measures to block much-needed housing and transportation projects.
Liberals may set the pace in Democratic discourse and presidential debates. But on Capitol Hill, the centrists often take the wheel.
By John Diaz
July 6, 2019
San Francisco Chronicle
One factor that may work against editorial cartooning is a diminished appreciation for pointed satire in this polarized era.