Global Left Midweek – June 1, 2022
- A History-Making Runoff in Colombia
- The War and the World
- Oxfam Targets Billionaires
- Russia’s Anti-Warriors
- Video: Meet Munesa Mubarez
- Africa is Churning
- Continent-Wide Inventories: Europe and Latin America
- Sri Lanka in Revolt
- International Support for Palestine Solidarity at McGill University
- The Socialist Victor of Hamlet Towers
A History-Making Runoff in Colombia
W.T. Whitney / CounterPunch (Doha)
Gustavo Petro and Francia Marquez, presidential and vice-presidential candidates of the Pacto Histórico coalition, scored a first-round victory in elections held on May 29. They face an uphill battle against right populist candidate Rodolfo Hernández.
The War and the World
Anuradha M. Chenoy / Asia Europe People’s Forum
The Russian illegal war in Ukraine has accelerated a shift in the world order forcing a renewed balance of power. Countries and analysts are calculating the implications of re-balancing and positioning for significant changes. So what are these shifts, the implications and consequences?
Oxfam Targets Billionaires
Jon Queally / Common Dreams (Portland ME)
With the world’s billionaire class and national leaders meeting in Davos as they pretend to meet as stewards of international leadership, Oxfam said there is one clear thing they should do if they want to be taken seriously: support a tax on billionaire wealth.
- A New Wave Pavel Lisyansky / People and Nature (Durham UK)
- Refuseniks Pjotr Sauer / The Guardian (London)
- Video: Defiant Women in St Petersburg Vlad Ketkovich, Noah Payne-Frank and Katie Lamborn / The Guardian
- Manifesto of National Minorities of the Feminist Antiwar Resistance / Europe Solidaire Sans Frontières (Paris)
Video: Meet Munesa Mubarez
Ahmad Hakimi / Deutsche Welle (Berlin)
Mubarez is fighting for women's rights, organizing demonstrations on the streets of Kabul. She continues her activism even as the Taliban introduces ever-stricter regulations controlling the lives of women.
Africa is Churning
- The Process of Liberation Vijay Prashad / Monthly Review (New York)
- Tunisia / Peoples Dispatch (New Delhi)
- Mauritius Val Moonien / African Arguments (London)
- Sudan / Peoples Dispatch
- Video: Ugandan Nurses Strike Alex Twekwase / NTV (Kampala)
- Political Murders in South Africa / New Frame (Johannesburg)
- Europe Barbara Steiner / transform! Europe (Vienna)
- Latin America Steve Ellner / NACLA Report (New York)
Sri Lanka in Revolt
- How it Started Kamanthi Wickramasinghe / Daily Mirror Online (Colombo)
- The Tamils Ambika Satkunanathan / Groundviews (Colombo)
- Art of Protest and Liberation Pamodi Waravita / The Morning (Colombo)
International Support for Palestine Solidarity at McGill University
Just Peace Advocates (Toronto)
The Palestine Solidarity Policy was approved by the undergraduate student body of McGill University, with 71% of the vote! However, the McGill administration has threatened to terminate an agreement with the undergraduate student union that would withhold its funding after the student union adopted the Palestine Solidarity Policy in its campus referendum.
The Socialist Victor of Hamlet Towers
Lutfur Rahman / Jacobin (New York)
In London’s poorest borough, I ran as an open socialist against the Labour Party to become mayor — and I won. Despite Labour’s conservative turn, the Left can win like I did: by going on the offensive.
Spread the word